In 2008, race organizers approached Keathley Advertising to:
- Increase registration numbers in key race categories.
- Emphasize the importance of the race to the community.
- Solidify the City of Akron as a premiere destination for runners.
- Showcase the unique aspects of the race experience.
Keathley devised a public relations strategy that communicated the race’s unique attributes at every turn. Year after year, campaign tactics have worked to:
- Demonstrate the unwavering dedication involved with the planning and execution of a world-class event.
- Detail the many unique amenities associated with the race – from course highlights to impressive giveaways.
- Highlight humorous, amazing and heartwarming runner experiences.
Our efforts have led to explosive media coverage, including broadcast and print interviews with race organizers and high-profile runners.
Results: In 2010 alone, the marathon saw considerable growth in its number of registrants, with reported figures from 2009 showing a nearly 20% increase in participation to 11,051 runners. 5,085 of these participants were non-local – runners from every state were in attendance.